Ask Forum: Fall 2012 Fashion Tips for Her

Q: What’s new in contemporary fashion?
Some major high-end design talents are now crossing into the contemporary arena with new divisions. Versace Collection, focused on leather this season, is on the edge with its distinctive “rock-chic” attitude. Derek Lam recently launched 10 Crosby by Derek Lam, inspired by the cool downtown girl with a fast fashion sense. Cynthia Steffe has re-emerged with her new label Cluny, which combines her signature aesthetic with a street-edge chic. Halston, the father of minimalism, influences Halston Heritage with the belief that women should dress simply by day and extravagantly by night. It’s fun to see them experimenting, combining freshness with years of experience, and making their designs available to a wider audience with more favorable price points. And of course, we’re always searching for who will be next.

Q: What are the must-have accessories this season?
When you accessorize,  try color-blocking with a two-tone scarf, or wear a printed silk one to accent darker fall colors. A great chunky bracelet or stack of bracelets is always a great way to finish an outfit. And when it gets really cold, don’t get caught without your long cashmere texting gloves!

Q: How can I get more mileage out of my outerwear?
These days, when we never know what the weather will bring, the need for versatility is especially important. Luckily, this season brings many coat options that offer warmth but are still lightweight, sleek and feminine. Long, chunky sweaters are perfect for a mild autumn day, but when the winter winds blow, there’s nothing better than outerwear that makes a statement and keeps you warm. Come in to check out the attention-grabbing leathers, or find a piece with Italian attitude.

Fur and faux fur continue to be chic and sporty in textured vests, and luxe but practical in super-light carcoats that reverse to rainwear. The quality pieces always have a modern twist, and offer multiple layers for your changing needs.

If you buy only one coat this season, make sure it’s a shaped, three-quarter length, mid-weight style that’s versatile enough in color and texture to layer with the rest of your clothing.

Q: How can I take my colored jeans from weekend to workday?
This year, colored jeans have been a hot item. (If you don’t own a pair, stop by to pick a few out!) If you’re anything like us, you’re wearing them with flats, a T-shirt and an unstructured jacket for a fun, casual look during the weekend.

In order to get more versatility from your denim, dial it up a notch for the work week: pair the same great jeans with a blouse, a wedge bootie or colored pump, and add a structured blazer for a more buttoned-up look. Finish with a statement belt or necklace for one last dressy detail.

DRESS BY RACHEL ROY

Speak Your Mind